Home

Museums

Galleries

Cathedrals

Monuments

Buildings

Cemeteries

Parks

Squares

Tours

Other

Districts

this is an image of the Eiffel Tower in paris, france

Bois de Boulogne

Former hunting ground of kings of France, the Bois de Boulogne became the great place of relaxation in western Paris. It includes the Parc de Bagatelle, Jardin des Serres d'Auteuil, Pré-Catelan and the Zoological Garden.

Address: 2 Allée du Bord de l'Eau, 75016, Paris France
Area: Western Paris
Arrondissement: 16th
Transport: M° (Metro) - Les Sablons (M1) or Porte Dauphine (M2) Porte Maillot (M1); RER: Neuilly-Porte Maillot (C) or Avenue Foch (C)
Entry Cost: Free of charge

History of the Bois de Boulogne

There are over twenty centuries already stretched in these places a huge forest which absorbed the current forest of Montmorency, Saint-Germain-en-Laye, wood and wood Chaville Meudon. Dagobert, king of the Franks (629-639), had to hunt bear, deer and all kinds of game among the oak forest that lived then. It was oak, a smaller variety than the oaks common, which gave its name to the wood, the forest of Rouvray.

Around 1315, Philippe Le Bel (1268-1314) built a chapel there, after a pilgrimage to Boulogne-Sur-Mer, and the wood naturally took his customary nom.Terrain hunting kings of France, the Bois de Boulogne became also a walk in fashion, when in 1727, Miss The Moor, famous opera singer at the time, retired to the Abbey of Longchamp. It occupied the site of the present racecourse. The jostling qu'occasionnèrent recitals by the soprano during Holy Week, which had nothing to do with devotion, worried the Archbishop of Paris, which decided the closure of the abbey to the public.

The Bois de Boulogne was nevertheless a popular walk, which gave rise to all the extravagances. The timber was then still partly closed, to enable Louis XVI to organize hunting parties, but he eventually fully open to the public. In 1848, the wood fell into the hands of the state, who ceded to the City of Paris in 1852. At that time, Napoleon III had decided to completely remodel the capital and have a garden each cardinal points of Paris. He threw his heart on the Bois de Boulogne, which was almost completely destroyed after the Revolution and the Battle of France, during which the wood was occupied and sacked (1814) by nearly 40 000 British and Russian soldiers. Napoleon III entrusted this task to the vast landscape Vare, who was quickly replaced by the engineer Alphand and the landscape Barrel-Deschamps, two former employees of Bordeaux's Baron Haussmann, who led the work.

Architectural elements, cabins, pavilions, kiosks, restaurants, and the garden of acclimatization, were made by Gabriel Davioud (1823-1881). It is also the author of the Fontaine Saint-Michel, the two theaters of the Place du Chatelet and Palais du Trocadéro. Inspiring English landscape parks he had discovered during his exile in London, no less than four hundred thousand trees were planted, lakes and rivers dug a cascade of 10m wide and 14m high built.