Home

Museums

Galleries

Cathedrals

Monuments

Buildings

Cemeteries

Parks

Squares

Tours

Other

Districts

this is an image of the Eiffel Tower in paris, france

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

The Cathedral of St. Alexander Nevsky is a Russian Orthodox Church located in Paris. Consecrated in 1861, it is the first permanent place of worship for the Russian Orthodox community in France.

Cathedral Address: 12 rue Daru, 75008, Paris France
Area: Champs Elysées and Western Paris
Arrondissement: 8th
Opening times: Mon-Sat 9am-6pm
Transport: M° (Métro) - Courcelles (M2) or Ternes (M2)
Entry Cost: Free of charge

History of the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

Consecrated in 1861, it is the first permanent place of worship for the Russian Orthodox community in France. It is the seat of the Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe in the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. The Russian presence in France dates from the eighteenth century. In the nineteenth century, about a thousand of Russians residing temporarily or permanently in Paris. They have no place of worship other than the one at the Russian embassy in Paris, which is too narrow. In 1847, the Russian embassy chaplain, Father Joseph Vasiliev, decided to put plans to build a permanent church. The inertia of the Russian government and French red tape delaying the completion of the project, but Napoleon III finally gave his consent. Funding for this construction is done primarily by subscription in Russia and Russian media worldwide. The church was consecrated September 11, 1861 by Archbishop Leontius of Reval, later Metropolitan of Moscow. It is dedicated to St. Alexander Nevsky, prince of Novgorod, Russia's greatest hero.