this is an image of the Eiffel Tower in paris, france

Église de la Trinité

Free sacred or classical music every Thursday

Address: Place d'Estienne d'Orves, 75009, Paris France
Arrondissement: 9th
Performance times: Every Thursday between 12.45pm and 1.30pm
Transport: M° (Métro) - Trinité d'Estienne d'Orves (M12) or St Lazare (M2, M12, M13, M14); RER: St Lazare (J, L)
Entry Cost: Free of charge

Architecture of the Église de la Trinité

The Trinity Church was built at the same time and in the same spirit as that of St. Augustine, the two parishes have both been created in September 1851. The site, which extends from 1861 to 1867, was entrusted to Theodore Ballu (1817-1885).

The church, designed as an urban center, is closely linked to middle-class neighborhood of the Chaussee d'Antin, which surrounds it, then changing Haussmann. Its bell tower stands at the end of the narrow street of Chausséee d'Antin, which widens into a square forming a crossroads. The small square, designed by Alphand, and ramps that rise up with an elegant side completed by the two buildings flanking the monument, itself designed by Ballu.

The architect is among his previous creations Basilica Sainte-Clotilde (1846-1857), Gothic. It works in conjunction with the Trinity in the construction of Saint-Ambroise, strict imitation of Roman forms. Trinity has nothing for its part of a pastiche of an old church: Ballu invention mixed with sources from the past that is familiar to better meet the program is his sumptuous.

The facade of a great decorative richness with its niches, pediments and pilasters, inspired by Italian Renaissance and Gothic style. It is surmounted by a tower 65 meters height in a belfry. The symbolism of the number three - the Trinity - determines the set of the lower part: the porch with three arches is preceded by three triples bowls decorated with fountains and statues of the theological virtues, Faith, Hope and Charity. The four cardinal virtues - Prudence, Justice, Fortitude and Temperance - are represented at the top of the front while the four stone statues at the foot of the campanile, represent the evangelists.

Although the metal is nowhere apparent, Ballu uses iron and iron in its construction. This allows him to minimize the number of pillars and an arch of drawing broad generating impressive interior dimensions: 90 meters long and 34 meters wide and 30 meters high.

The building is rectangular in a plane, consists of a large transept nave without aisles lined with close giving access to side chapels. The set, punctuated by alternating pillars and columns, opens into a choir flanked by raised platforms surrounding the main altar created by Poussielgue. At the rear of the sanctuary, the chapel dedicated to Our Lady closes the volume with a canted wall.

The interior plays on the gradation of color intensity and brilliance of the gilding to accompany the effects of architecture. Paints arches of the nave (subjects depicted on a gold background), ordered to Felix and Felix Barrias Jobbé-Duval, offer a perfect unity of style. The decor of the side chapels run half a score of years later by renowned artists (Delaunay, Lecomte Nouy ...) is rather more heterogeneous.

Different patterns of sculpture of the Second Empire can be observed: the severe style that dominates the majority of these figures of the Apostles on the pillars of the nave meets art soft and stylish Angels Gumery (back of the entrance wall, above clams) and the Madonna and Child by Paul Dubois (Lady Chapel).